I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 26, 2014

The Center, The Root

From the Legacy of Divine, the Sun; from Steps to Serenity, "Serenity:"
          It seems ludicrous to think ancient astronomers thought Earth was the center of the Universe. But then again, that's typically how humans think. I've spent quite a few years wondering why life didn't adjust itself to my plans and desires, and feeling angry that it didn't. It is like trying to build from a plan that uses metric measurements but instead using inches and feet. No wonder things didn't turn out right! But what clarity (and a sense of freedom) occurs when I realize I am not the center of the universe, and things don't depend my every thought and action. I am a part of the whole, a part that can be of benefit, but only if let go of my self-centered views.
          I can think of three reasons why I'm not experiencing serenity:
1) I'm so used to chaos that peace seems boring, so I create or engage in emotional drama.
2) My expectations weren't met about some person, place or thing.
3) I'm trying to control what I can't accept instead of embracing reality.
In all of these situations, I am self-absorbed and unwilling to work with "what is." I have to agree with Bill Wilson who said, "Selfishness, self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles." My lack of serenity really is caused by my own choices.

2 comments:

  1. Working on number three has made a lot of difference in my life. Perhaps next year I will focus on number one, a big pitfall for me. Also I want to try not run form inner silence by hiding behind a screen for to long and give meditation another go
    Striking you have drawn the Sun on this Holiday of the Rebirth of light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sun was a welcome card, especially after days of heavy rain (exterior) and dealing with the holidays (interior). It was a good reminder that how I think affects how I feel!

      Delete