I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 26, 2015

Failing Passively

From the Rohrig Tarot, the Seven of Wands; from the Master Tarot, "All Drunk:"
          This Seven of Wands is striking, as it shows a man taking a huge risk as he makes a leap. There will be no consolation prize or any award for congeniality if he doesn't make it. Such valor (the subtitle of this card) requires an unshakable faith that what he's doing is the right way of doing it. He's taking action according to his own set of principles and ideas in attaining a goal or in a creative adventure. Confidence, energy and enthusiasm will work along with courage to help him safely soar over that gap.
          Have you ever had an exciting opportunity present itself, but then an icy, cold fear sets in because you worry about failing? The All Drunk card shows several guys who don't want to think about such things, so they find a way to forget. Drugs and alcohol are chemical ways to bring on this state, but there are a myriad of other escapes - sitting in front of the TV or computer for hours on end, getting involved in emotional drama, or simply staying in bed are some other options. But if that guy isn't sober and at the top of his game, he'll never clear that chasm. Allowing myself to be frozen by fear is just a passive acceptance of failure. In the long run, that regret will probably outweigh all of my worries.

2 comments:

  1. You've just captured my main life lesson in this post!
    Fear for failure is the greatest obstacle but at least I know my my pitfalls and that is something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; being aware is the first step. I may have valid reasons for not acting, but fear of failure not one of them.

      Delete