I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, January 23, 2015

Finding Something to be Grateful For

From the Via Tarot, the Nine of Cups; from the Nature's Pharmacy Deck, "Queen Anne's Lace:"
          The woman at the bottom of the Nine of Cups reminds me of Atlas; she holds up not only cups, but a body of water as well. The Thoth tradition labels this card "Happiness," and seeing her effort reminds me that contentment doesn't appear just because I stick my hand out waiting for it. The woman at the top with the downward-pointing sword underscores the importance of my thoughts in creating my own happiness. It is gray, chilly and rainy this morning. It is also the burial day of a man who was kind to me at a point in my life when I really needed a friend.
          Daucus carota is a type of wild carrot with finely divided, lacy leaves. Its flat cluster of small white flowers fold up as it ages, making it resemble a bird's nest. Like the cultivated carrot, it is a rich source of beta carotene. However the herb's root becomes too woody to consume unless it is harvested early. Such a time constraint suggests I need to actively look and hold on to beauty, joy and satisfaction when it is available. These good memories and a dose of gratitude can nurture and sustain me when those gray, rainy days come around.

7 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your loss, But as the card suggests he was your friend when you needed him, wished for! I hope the good memories will help you deal with the sadness
    Gentle hugs (((Bev)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange, but I do feel more gratitude than sadness for myself. But he leaves behind two daughters and grandchildren, and for them I do feel sadness.

      Delete
  2. Glad you have found that place of gratitude. And I hope that you can release the sadness for those others - it isn't your burden to carry…
    Hugs, Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NP. :) It may be a good day for tonglen practice.

      Delete
  3. You honour your friend Bev greatly by being grateful for him and his help to you. I think that's what we all hope for when we die and leave this earthly coil. If you can pass these kindnesses onto others you will continue to honour those who have been kind and their spirits live within that kindness.
    I am sorry for the sadness you have in the loss of your friend Bev. There are always blessings to be found, and to be grateful for. Certainly God blesses his family and you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine; like you, I believe no act of kindness is wasted. :)

      Delete
    2. That's is for certain. <3 :)

      Delete