I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fulcrum of Fairness

This week I'll be using the Rohrig Tarot, created by Carl W. Rohrig and published by Sirio. I also have a companion book written by the artist and Francesca Marzano-Fritz and published by Bluestar Communications. The other deck I'll be drawing from is called a tarot, but I'll be using it as an oracle: the Master Tarot. It was created by Amerigo Folchi and Mario Montano and published by AG Muller. Today's cards are Justice and "Barabbas:"
          If you were to take the Fool out of the tarot deck, then place the first ten major arcana cards on one side and the last ten on the other, number eleven would fall right in the middle. Justice would be the fulcrum the other cards balance on, much like the scales the lady holds. Every card has its extreme, a point where it veers off the middle path. The Empress can be a nurturer or an over-protective control freak; the Hermit can use solitude as a time for reflection or as isolation. Justice reminds me to take a hard look at my opinions and ideas. They should be tested and weighed, then adjusted or abandoned as necessary to maintain objectivity.
          Here's a shifty-eyed fellow wearing a "wife-beater" and holding a chain. I would guess there would be an all-points bulletin out on him somewhere. He represents Barabbas of the gospels, an insurrectionist condemned to die. In the story, the Roman governor of Judea offered the crowd the choice of letting one man go free - Jesus or Barabbas. The crowd chose to free Barabbas and crucify Jesus. The story was a nifty way for the Christians to imply it wasn't the Romans who caused the crucifixion of their leader, but the Jews who clamored for his death. The story implies manipulating the government, yet the account itself aims to manipulate the reader. My fixed ideas can radically weight the scales of justice in favor of my opinions. If I don't want to be exploited by my own mind, I need to rebuild the fulcrum of fairness.

4 comments:

  1. It is so hard tot be impartial when your own interest is at stake. So every time Justice comes along we are reminded to look at ourselves through her eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I need friends who will be honest with me; sometimes I'm so good at rationalizing, I can't see clearly. :)

      Delete
  2. Errmmm. I was thinking he was kinda hot. Oh dear. Good girls like bad boys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up, woman! But yes, he does have that "bad boy" appeal. :)

    ReplyDelete