I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Watching Old Movies

This week I'll be using two self-published decks: The Bonefire Tarot by Gabrielle Angus-West and the Day of the Dead Lenormand by Edmund Zebrowski. Today's draws are Judgment and "Fish:"
          The trumpets blare in an attempt to shake this woman from the way she perceives life. There are two games represented here. The chess piece symbolizes the people who live in strategy mode, thinking those who die with the most toys will win. The dice symbolize people who feel life is just a crap shoot; since we're all going to die anyway, who cares what we do? Yet the stopwatch says time to wake up is running out. The scenes of her life play across her skin, as if she is watching a film of all the events leading up to this present moment. Will she be able to see beyond her self-absorption, understanding the parts she has played? If she can accept that not only has she been wounded but has caused injury to others, she'll begin to see life through a new set of eyes.
          The Fish generally represent abundant resources, freedom and flexibility. Looking back at Judgment, what would happen if the light of understanding dawns? Would she see that she doesn't have to fall under the label of "oppressed" or "oppressor?" Her rebirth comes when she can acknowledge that it is not about burdens or blame, but about truth. Living wisely, without guilt or resentment, is an existence filled with abundance and freedom. It's a lot easier to swim without those weights tied around my fins.

8 comments:

  1. I would be drowning if I hadn't been able to shed those weights. Let go of shame and guilt and step into the light!
    Mostly I see Judgement as a rebirth card; a change to start over; often wiser and more enlightend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see it as a "begin again" card too, with wisdom of true understanding. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Bev
    What you see as a chess piece is, I think, a judge's hammer...(at least that is what I see - assuming you mean the golden object top left). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I DO see the gavel. :D I thought it was the top of a chess piece breaking off its bottom, lol. I guess I saw what I needed to see at the moment!

      Delete
    2. And that is how tarot often works...:)
      We DO see what we need to see - whether that was what was intended by the artist or not...and that tells us something about ourselves that we need to know at any given time. :) :)

      Delete
    3. Still, I'm glad you told me what it was actually supposed to be. :) Now I'll have a new way to read the card the next time it comes up!

      Delete
  3. For me, Judgement is often about that clarion call (the trumpet at her throat), to listen to our heart and do what needs to be done. That way, too, lies the feeling of abundance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To act from compassion, for myself and others, is definitely produces a feeling of abundance. :)

      Delete