I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 16, 2015

Don't Saddle Up Just Yet

From the Art of Life Tarot, the Knight of Swords; from the Tao Oracle, "Retreat:"
 
          I thought this Knight of Swords was a pitiful representation of the firebrand I'm used to seeing, but then I realized this was a depiction of Don Quixote. The novel of this character tells of a Spanish noble who reads so many romantic books about knights, he decides become one. He wants to revive chivalry and be the arm of justice, but unfortunately he is quite insane. Thankfully he has a "squire" (a peasant farmer) who actually has some common sense tagging along. This version of the Knight reminds me that just because I think I know something doesn't mean I actually know anything. Just because I read something or see it on television doesn't necessarily make it real.
          The geese on the Retreat card are migrating for the winter. The book emphasizes this is not an emotional response - fight or flight - but a rational one. The migration suggests I forget my ego and my opinionated stances. If I don't have all the facts, I can admit I don't know. This is not about winning or subduing another, but doing what is right, honest and just. If I am going "to dare" as Kierkegaard puts it in the quote above, it would be much better to be prepared with accurate information beforehand. No need to saddle up until then.

7 comments:

  1. I think it is admirable to get as much information before making a decision but sometimes we just don't know and have to make an educated guess because we have to move forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I think that's different from acting like I have all the correct (right) information when all I have is my opinion. :)

      Delete
    2. I understand. This is a very hard habit to tackle since we always think we are right and know the truth. How do we learn to see the difference between opinion and fact. And what about the grey areas in between??

      Delete
    3. The only way I know to do it is to look for hard evidence rather than supportive opinions (based on theory or wishful thinking). And if I don't know for sure, I can refrain from standing on a soapbox shouting my personal "truths."

      Delete
  2. Funny, I can see Don Quixote more as the Knight of Cups - hopeless romantic - or Knight of Wands - riding in with no plan in mind - than the Knight of Swords. My assumptions jumping in :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see him as a hopeless romantic too, but he did get there by reading so many books about knights! :D

      Delete