I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Wonder-working Medicine

This week I'll be using three decks, all created by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm and illustrated by Will Worthington. The Druidcraft Tarot and the Druid Plant Oracle were published by Connections; the Druid Animal Oracle was published by St. Martin's Press. I've combined the two oracles and will be using them as one deck. Today's draws are the Six of Cups and "Chamomile:"
          If I sit and watch kids, from tots to teens, I almost always end up reflecting on some memory. The Druidcraft book makes an important point: "At the level of the heart, linear time ceases to exist. The mind uses linear time to break up experience into past and present, but in the heart there is pure feeling which is not bounded by time." Over the past couple of decades, there has been a push for people to dig through their dysfunctional family histories. Now I agree that shining the light in those dark corners is more helpful than trying to hide them. But there is more than just pain and trauma in the past; good experiences can be found too.
          I've had a busy weekend filled with friends and family. I've relied on my herbal Yogi tea (with chamomile) to relax, not necessarily because I'm stressed, but to help me unwind from all the energy and excitement. This herb represents a break taken to rest and renew oneself. Body, mind and spirit will all be stronger if I squeeze in some time to pause and relax. I can't help thinking that reflecting back on good memories would be therapeutic as well. Gratitude is one medicine that always works wonders.

4 comments:

  1. Back when we had a TV I've heard Oprah say several times when someone would go on and on about having come from a dysfunctional family something to the effect "We all did". In a way it's true, even for idyllic childhoods, what does that prepare you for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all do to varying degrees. And I wonder if some people now use it as an excuse not to change their behavior, as if what they choose to do can be blamed on someone else.

      Delete
  2. I agree memories can be healing. It took me a long time before I could dwell on the good days before my husbands stroke. But now I am so grateful I have those to look back to. And it is my husband who remembers the most details so we often reminisce together.
    It seems we both needed some relaxation this weekend (Chamomile and Lavender :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think remembering the good can be helpful in dealing with grief. Those wonderful memories are the parts not lost to us. :)

      Delete