I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Hold On to Those Quills

From the Prairie Tarot, the Jackalope; from the Medicine Cards, "Porcupine:"
          Part jackrabbit, part antelope, this card is a version of the "Happy Squirrel." Ator writes, "A creature rarely seen, this jackrabbit wearing an antelope's horns embodies the fantastic, the unexpected, the surprising…." The last time I drew this card (over 3 years ago), I was taking life way too seriously and not laughing nearly enough. And now he's shown up again, giving me the same look my cat does when I don't want to get out of bed at 5 a.m. to dish up breakfast. Okay, okay... let me get my morning cup of coffee and I'll try to manage a smile.
          Porcupine, though loaded with barbs, is normally a gentle, non-aggressive creature. Only if threatened will it release its quills as a weapon. But what happens if I'm feeling prickly, as if I'm walking around with no skin on? I won't make any charitable assumptions about anything said to me; instead I'll be shouting "Man the torpedoes and prepare to fire!" Porcupine combined with Jackalope reminds me that humor can often be a much better response. And there's no mess to clean up later.

4 comments:

  1. Finding humor in s situation is so much easier after a good nights rest. Now at the end of the day I can sometimes get more pricky by the hour
    It is good to be aware of this for the rest of the family's sake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use "time out" for the kids when they misbehaved; now I use it on me before I misbehave, lol.

      Delete
  2. Coffee First is the moral of this story lol.

    ReplyDelete