I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Futility

From the RochesTarot, the Seven of Swords; from the Animal Shaman Vision Cards, the Mallard:
          The creator of the RochesTarot has painted a well-known picture of Aleister Crowley with himself on top. Thoth-based decks use the keyword "futility" to describe this card. Astrologically, it is connected with the Moon in Aquarius; this is a strange combination of intellect with passivity. Crowley describes this card as similar to "a rheumatic boxer trying to 'come back' after being out of the ring for years." The brain is trying to out-think a situation but ends up with nothing solid and useful. It does however produce a bedazzling slight of hand trick. This of course impresses no one, except the magician who considers himself a genius. In him there is a strong desire for achievement, yet he's unable to keep a firm footing in reality.
          The mallard is one of the most abundant and wide-ranging ducks on earth, even though it is also one of the most widely hunted. Among water birds, these ducks are known as a dabblers; typically they skim food from the surface or feed in the shallows by tipping forward to submerge their heads. Other waterfowl are divers, who propel themselves underwater to feed. These two ways of eating remind me of how easy it is to try to think something into happening without actually doing much. We don't want to go "all in" by following what we envision with action. But without any physical effort, we might as well be doing card tricks.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of myself: trying to pick-up blogging and my creative projects. Thinking about them only results in feeling blocked (poor me story) but doing actually something gives me a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the Aquarian in me too; mentally I can have everything wrapped up with a bow, but in actuality I haven't done a thing!

      Delete
  2. That Seven of Swords is really different. It looks like maybe he put on his 'thinking cap' and that mallard reminds me my Mother loved ducks. So now I guess looking at your cards I will think of my Mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crowley was a strange bird himself. :)
      Bluebirds make me think of my mom!

      Delete