I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Let Us Begin

From the Osho Zen Tarot, the Six of Fire (Wands); from the A'HA Oracle, Heart Urchin:
          This woman is literally on top of the world, obviously celebrating a recent success. Yet Padma warns that her ticker-tape parade won't last forever. Enjoy the excitement and recognition of the moment, but don't cling to it. Just as the crest of the wave is followed by the valley afterward, so too moves the cycles of life. Which brings me to the next card, the Heart Urchin. This urchin is similar to a sand dollar, but it has a domed top and a slight indention that gives it a heart shape. Heart urchins are light brown or green and covered with thousands of short, delicate spines that look fur-like. The spines are used for movement and for burrowing in the sand. But what is seen in this card is not a living specimen, but a bleached skeleton. Both these cards reminded me of a song by Bruce Springsteen called "Glory Days." The lyrics tell stories of people trying to hold on to those wonderful moments:

I had a friend was a big baseball player
back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you
Make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar
I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside sat down had a few drinks
but all he kept talking about was
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

If I'm focused on what was, I'm missing out on what is. In the words of Mother Teresa, "We have only today. Let us begin."

6 comments:

  1. Did you know the two New Zealand ladies that created the Songs For The Journey Home deck followed Osho for a time and were here in Oregon when the ashram was here. If we could just take the love and peace some leaders offer and leave the rest. Well I guess that is what I've done over the years, but I'm thinking about those inside the cult. He has 27 Rolls Royces there, while his followers weeded carrots in the noonday sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, seems that is the way things work with a lot of religious leaders. I've gotten where I watch what people do rather than what they say these days. I have both the Osho Zen and the Tao Oracle only for Padma's words and artwork. I didn't know that about the SFTJH ladies though!

      Delete
  2. If we try to hold on to all the 'Glory Days' they become just like any ole other days and then one can not experience the joy of special days. Got to experience both the good and not so good to appreciate the joy of those Glory Days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Carolyn; we miss a lot of joy in the present when we're continually looking backward!

      Delete
  3. Now I am getting older I do reminisce sometimes about the glory days but I woudn't trade them for my life now; not in a hundred years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any problem with going back for a visit every now and then, but like you, I sure wouldn't want to live there. :)

      Delete