I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, March 14, 2016

Three Extremes

From the Tarot of the Hidden Realm, Temperance; from the Heart of Faerie,  In Two Minds:
All extremes beget their opposites, and both are alike unprofitable. 
~ Venerable Ashin Thittila  
          If I label something as "wrong," I've automatically created a "right." As Thittila explains, one radical view will naturally create a second perspective at the other end of the spectrum. Temperance shows up as a reminder to balance myself like a tennis player waiting to return a ball. Leaning too heavily on the left foot may cause a stumble, when a ball is hit on that side and I must move quickly in that direction. A beginning stance of resting equally on the balls of both feet will enable me to easily transition from one side to the next, depending on what the situation calls for.
          In Two Minds has just the opposite problem. Instead of choosing one side or the other, he can't make a decision and doesn't move at all. He either doesn't want to deal with the responsibility of choosing or is worried about pleasing everyone. Yet rarely does doing nothing please anyone. It's like the tennis player who stands balanced on both feet yet never moves - he simply watches the balls go by. In some ways, that's an extreme too.

6 comments:

  1. That's a lot to think about. Especially about the pleasing part. We can't please everyone always but its hard to stop trying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to ask myself what will be most beneficial; sometimes that is not what the other person wants though!

      Delete
  2. I was asked a question years ago in regards to do 'do unto others as you would have done unto you.' But really what I might want could be diametrically opposed to what another would want or need, so sometimes I am of the In Two Minds dilemma and will do nothing at all, which in itself is a decision? He looks the trolls in FROZEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look like the trolls.:D I can usually get past the Two Minds if I look at my motives for doing something (or doing nothing).

      Delete
  3. I drew Temperance today and it's just exact what you said about labelling something as wrong creates a right and attachment to that. I tend to hurly-burly things instead of resting on the balls of my feet, preparing.

    I don't have either of these decks, nice to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard thing to learn, to be mindful of being balanced on both feet. :)

      Delete