I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Whistle While You Work

This week I'll be using the Hezicos Tarot, created and self-published by Mary Griffin. Along with it I'll be using the Way of the Horse, an oracle deck and book set created by Linda Kohanov with Kim McElroy and published by New World Library. The two cards drawn for today are the Nine of Coins and the Language of the Breath:
          Sitting on a mound of gathered fruit, this orchard fairy welcomes a ladybug and butterfly. Though these insects could care less about the fruit, they were compensated by the plants that needed them for aphid extermination and pollination. It seems that all three of these winged beings worked hard according to their abilities and were justly rewarded for their efforts. There's no sense of entitlement here - everyone does their fair share.
          When there's a task to be done, it's easy for me to reside in my head. I might be doing the job, but my mind is hours ahead thinking about what I'm going to be doing when I finish. Very little attention is paid to what is going on in the moment, particularly if it is some kind of menial chore. The gift associated with this horse is: "When you use your entire body as an organ of perception, you embrace the world and sense your place in it more deeply." My five senses can connect me to the joy of the moment, drowning out my whiny ego when it complains that the work is boring or thankless.
Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, you ought to set up a life you don’t need to escape from. ~ Seth Godin


8 comments:

  1. HAPPY EASTER. Forget the chores and find something fun to do today. Maybe go to a Flea Market and do your Easter Hunt and find something fun and whimsical. The work will still be waiting for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a caretaker for a 95 yr. old, unfortunately I can't forget all my duties. :) But I can look for the joy in them! Happy Easter to you, Carolyn!

      Delete
  2. I understand. I too was the caretaker when both of my parents became frail. I still miss them everyday. Maybe just a backyard adventure for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful post, love your daily wordsmithing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the Hezicos - really magical. Love what you say about them all pulling their weight, in their own way. As for that "head elsewhere" thing, ack, just noticed that in myself while out walking on the Heath. A shame to miss being where I was, so I kept bringing myself back. What you wrote here reminded me of a Gestalt exercise, where you purposefully focus on one sense at a time, observing what you observe in the moment - would have been good to have remembered on my walk *doh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Hezicos too. :) That Gestalt exercise sounds like it would be a great mindfulness practice!

      Delete