I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, April 1, 2016

Group Dynamics

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Three of Cups; from the Way of the Horse, Boundary Dance:
          These three wee lasses all dressed alike remind me of a younger version of the Red Hat Society. With a cake that resembles the Leaning Tower of Pisa, I'm guessing they're at the seashore for a celebration instead of just a vacation. Being a tad on the introverted side, I'm not much of a party planner, but I have a couple of friends who need no excuse to host a get-together. I've met some delightful people at these gatherings that I probably would've never gotten to know otherwise, and so it's been good for me. I'm also a part of several "tribes" - small groups of people with similar interests and purposes. I imagine my life would be very dull without such a variety of people to associate with.
          Boundary Dance shows two horses beginning the process of defining and respecting boundaries. Any group (even those brought together by a common interest) will be a mix of opinions about topics from politics and religion to how to raise a child or grow a vegetable garden. When ideas clash it's easy to be offended, especially if someone isn't being respectful. Frustration can lead to anger, and anger to rage. If I can pay attention to another instead of just flapping my gums, I can sense discomfort rising and realize I've crossed a line. I can respectfully back up and apologize. But if someone invades my personal boundaries, I should speak up with kindness and let them know too. The tricky part in either case is to not let my heart disconnect from the person. Society trains us well in having our rights heard, but it fails to teach us how to do it responsibly and compassionately.


4 comments:

  1. I had a red hat chapter for four years. I've never laughed so hard for so long in my life. I didn't even know I had laughter in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now those are the BEST kinds of groups that can unleash our laughter like that!

      Delete
  2. As sensitive I am for other people's boundaries so difficult it is for me to maintain my own. Perhaps that is the reason I am more than "a tad on the introverted side"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I let someone stomp all over my boundaries, a resentment is a clue that I allowed it to happen.

      Delete