I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Harnessing the Fire

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Ace of Wands; from the OH Cards, Box/Attractive:
          Hands and fingers on fire, an inner lion breaking free, and a fire burning in the belly are all ways White expresses in image what being possessed by creative passion feels like. She writes, "Your charge is to harness, direct and control this great energy and focus it into something good." Those great wings won't soar until this happens; if aimless and erratic, the blaze will quickly burn out. This fierce passion needs to be directed toward a purpose to create a slow and steady burn. The Box/Attractive pairing made me think of the oft used phrase, "thinking outside the box." What is more attractive to you, creating what feels familiar or what is unexplored? White includes a quote by Joseph Campbell that heads her Ace of Wands entry: "The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." I appreciate that thought; I'm a strange mix of the tried and true with a bit of "what in the world?" thrown in. Whatever I create usually has a foundation in the conventional but with my peculiar spin on it. How about you?


6 comments:

  1. That Ace of Wands has so much going on. I saw the sparks flying from her finger tips and is that a image of a bear in the brush stroke? I love the quote "The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." Good words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't see a bear, just the two lions/tigers on the edges.
      It is a great quote - something I need to remember. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd say mine is puzzling. I never know where it is going until it feels finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your spontaneity and the ability to follow where your muse leads!

      Delete
  3. The quote has been jotted down in my journal. This post got me thinking how these wings would get damaged if he didn't soar but only would desperately flutter in search of a creative outlet.
    I am like you: a mixture of familiar and experimental processes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be like Sharyn, but I don't think I would be able to get my wings off the ground. :)

      Delete