I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Vast Heart

From the Mary-El Tarot, the Five of Cups; from the OH Cards, Hospital/Comic:
          White writes "To love is to risk loss; they are part of the same natural cycle." It does require courage to risk opening the heart instead of shielding it. Invariably the love we feel will also bring pain - just ask a pet owner who has recently euthanized a furry member of the family. The unicorn's horn was said to purify poisoned water. But with no mythical animals to rely on, the only way we can heal a heart is to keep it open and exposed to fresh air.
With such a vast heart,
immense as the wide-open sea,
suffering cannot overpower us,
just as a small handful of salt
cannot make a great river salty.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh 
          A hospital may be where you go when you're injured or sick, but it is also a place to get well. The word card "comic" that is paired with the hospital card today reminds me not to forget how to smile or laugh when the body or spirit is in need of healing. In the words of Bob Newhart, "Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on."

6 comments:

  1. It is still hard to open my heart and be vulnerable again because I fear this devastating pain of loss too much. Maybe someday I will be well enough to try and until then I will laugh a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((E)) But you still have your heart open for your daughters; perhaps that is enough for now. :)

      Delete
  2. For me, it seems the very lesson of life is to learn and re-learn about loving and letting go... It never seems to get easier, though. Wish I had a unicorn handy!
    As a side-note... Hospital/Comic... I wonder if Ely Raman and Joe Schlichter were inspired by the Quebec medical system when they thought of that card! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impermanence is one of life's harder truths, isn't it?
      Heehee, I'm sure those reviewers of the Quebec hospital would have agreed with that combination!

      Delete
  3. I love Unicorns. If I had this draw I would think, "okay going to have something medical come up, but it will be okay because the unicorn card of purity." But just in case I would find something of humor, cause Laughter is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter does seem to help heal the hurts and remind us there is still joy in the world. :)

      Delete