I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

No Shortcuts

From the Norse Tarot, the Nine of Pentacles; from the Wolf Pack, the Long Journey:
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. 
― Beverly Sills
 I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work - and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't.
― Lucille Ball
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
― Colin Powell
          Researchers have found that folks who lose a lot of weight in a relatively short amount of time radically alter their metabolism. Their metabolisms slow to a crawl (sometimes permanently), and their bodies no longer burn enough calories to maintain their thinner size. People who come into a large amount of wealth, such as through an inheritance or the lottery, rarely keep it because they have no idea how to manage money. Folks who decide to buy a business without any previous knowledge or training often find themselves with too many irons and no fire (energy). Sills, Ball and Powell really do know what they're talking about; there are no short cuts to finding what hard work and study will produce.

8 comments:

  1. It is like knitting: a sweater is knit stitch by stitch.
    Often when we work hard an diligent on a project, the amount of fulfillment is so much greater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And doing each stitch gives us an understanding of the process we wouldn't have otherwise. :)

      Delete
  2. I have worked hard, well for the most part, most of my life; really since I was fourteen, or I could go back to eleven when I delivered news papers for a couple of years. I have never won the lottery and yet I am pretty sure I could handle it, in fact I dream of it. "Show me the money" I am after all a Queen of Pentacles. Seize the Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a big difference between someone like you - who has worked hard, learned not to waste and how to manage money - and someone who hasn't and suddenly winds up with a windfall. :)

      Delete
  3. I like Ellen's analogy. we have to know how to knit a stitch before we can design a pattern. How often we blow right past that road sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't count the times I had to start over but I never regret doing it

      Delete
    2. Impatience always builds on a weak foundation.

      Delete
  4. I am one for luck now. I worked hard, followed a lot of the business models. Planned and prepared and it took one big act of nature to take it all away. Nothing like starting out with nothing and not much time to begin again. I buy my lottery tickets every week.

    ReplyDelete