I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Eagle Eye

From the Sacred India Tarot, the King of Arrows (Swords); from the American Pen Oracle, Terry McMillan:
          Arya has chosen Garuda to represent the King of Swords, the cosmic eagle and mount of Vishnu ("The Preserver and Protector"). Garuda was known for his speed, martial prowess, and great strength. Massive enough to block out the sun, he was an enemy of the serpent deities and fed exclusively on snakes. That last bit of information made me think of the phrase "snakes in the head," a phrase describing persistent, crazy-making thoughts. Such speculation makes a person so afraid he can't look at his beliefs long enough to separate what's valid and what isn't. What could be better in such a situation than to have an eagle or sword to separate those dire emotional feelings from the truth? McMillan offers her wisdom along the same lines: If you jump to conclusions, you make terrible landings. She makes a good point; if I am reacting (or hiding) based on a reality seen through an emotional lens, I'm going to end up in a deeper pile of poo than if I'd just dealt with the facts from the beginning.

6 comments:

  1. And nobody wants to end up there so we'd better get our heads on straight.:)
    But we must not forget how we feel about things either because sometimes the mind knows what the heart cannot understand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose it's wrong to follow one's heart, but only when seeing with discernment and clarity!

      Delete
  2. I cannot relate to that King of Swords. If I turned him up I would have to say he had nothing to say to me, but your second card and the quote "don't jump to conclusions" makes me think I would spend a more time with the King to figure out what is up with that look is he is giving me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would tell us to separate the wheat from the chaff (or the real from the "feels real"). :)

      Delete
  3. I 'think' I've got the mad monkeys whirling snakes out of my brain finally. But it is constant awareness that keeps them out. I'm not sure they ever go far enough to be disregarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's how it is for me too. Letting down my guard altogether is not a good idea.

      Delete