I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 12, 2016

Use Your Noggin

From the Via Tarot, the Seven of Cups; from Nature's Pharmacy deck, Witch hazel:
          The woman at the top of the Seven of Cups is being held hostage by a dragon like creature. Subtitled the 'Lord of Debauch,' it could easily be known as the illusion of success and pleasure. You know how it is... We're stressed or worn out, so we succumb to a way that looks easier than another. We don't look more deeply because we don't want to know. If we did, we'd see without a doubt that we're about to engage in a behavior that goes against our principles. It's five minutes of elation followed by months or years or remorse. Witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) shows up just in time, a plant known for it's astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. It shrinks things down (the ego) and cools things off (impulsive action). What I love about the plant besides its herbal value is its bright yellow, frilly flowers. Their color is symbolic of the intellect, a suggestion that I should use my head instead of being led by my desires.

9 comments:

  1. Lief is complicated: one day we have to follow our heart and go against any form of reason and next we have to dismiss our desires and follow the lead of our mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem with following the heart only is that common sense often gets tossed out on its ear! :D

      Delete
  2. When I was in hospital learning how to be alive again, I had my first and only meeting with Witch Hazel. I must have been getting better :) because I was worrying over blemishes; one of the nurses brought me a little vial of Witch Hazel to daub on. I was so impressed with the little vial I think I convinced myself it was nearly magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those with hemorrhoids have found it pretty magical too! :D

      Delete
  3. I have had those five minutes of elation and yes I still fraught and fret over some, these long years later. Some of those moments had me turning left instead the straight and narrow. What is Life without a bit of adventure. I think I need to get a couple vials of Witch Hazel for my clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An anti-inflammatory sounds like what they need after reading your post today!

      Delete
  4. My mum always had WH in. I had no idea it had so many applications - just read it eases sunburn, brightens tired eyes, cleanses and refreshes skin and tightens pores. Just goes to show the natural beauty products are often the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that a lot of the pharmaceuticals have taken out the active ingredients in some medicines to copy synthetically, but in so doing they left out many of the properties inherent in the plant that would prevent some of the side effects.

      Delete
    2. Inventing products by subtracting from nature? It's a naughty world.

      Delete