I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 22, 2016

It's All in the Attitude

From the Japaridze Tarot, the Devil; from the Holitzka I Ching, Hexagram 31:
           Before I read the booklet, I thought this image was confusing and chaotic. Yet isn't that when we're most susceptible to the Devil - that inner part of us that craves stability and certainty in an ever-changing world? Japaridze looks to the Buddhist term of grasping to help illustrate and explain this card. Grasping happens when we think life should not be a certain way (it's unfair!); we attempt to push away what we dislike and hold tightly to what is pleasant. This is how a lot of compulsions and addictions develop deep roots in our lives. Hexagram 31 is referred to as 'Influence' and suggests an attitude of openness and humility rather than an iron fist. Holitzka writes that one should make wise use of his or her strength. Instead of fighting, there is receptivity and understanding. I do have some influence over confusing situations, but sometimes my power rests in an attitude of acceptance rather than actions.

8 comments:

  1. At first glance those two cards look like the yang/yin of each other. Turn the Devil card upside down or the Hexagram 31 and they fit. Similar colors - black, some gold, and a touch of red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even after 25 years I'm often pulled by the idea of smoking.Let me go debil. Oh..that's right, it is all me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an ex-smoker myself, I think I would never go back. But every now and then a little thought passes through my mind...

      Delete
  3. It feels like you've written this for me. As soon as I accept my pain it lessens and vice versa. I would rather have it gone right now but that isn't going to happen so I will sit with it and be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the media is part of that push to take a pill, buy an item, have a drink, etc. to make it go away NOW.

      Delete
  4. That image makes me think of the words: "like a bat out of hell". How come we sometimes seem to run towards our own destruction, rather than away from it? Perhaps because anything feels better than just sitting with chaos or pain. Yet, as you and others have said, that is the bravest choice and often the best. Still, our society doesn't favour passivity, no matter how positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why some people would rather act angry than admit they are afraid - it feels more powerful. But it's the inner power that won't run out if we can be still and quiet long enough to tap into it! :)

      Delete