I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 30, 2016

Closed Bags and Minds

From the Tarot of the Radiant Path, the Eight of Swords; from Mirrors of the Heart, Balance:
        Eight bags are shown in this card, one full of swords and another full of treasure. But the other six are firmly tied closed. The bag of swords is similar to my viewpoints. The environment I've lived in, the knowledge I've learned and the experiences I've had have shaped them. But like the closed bags, I must remember that my understanding is limited. There is so much I don't know, and a huge part of life I haven't participated in. Like the saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket," I'd be wise to do the same with my thoughts. The Balance card made me think of playing basketball; one of the tricks I'd do with the ball was to attempt to spin it on my middle finger. And though I could keep it spinning and balanced for a few seconds, it would inevitably wobble and fall off. Balanced thinking is just as hard. Can I stay open to other folk's ideas and sincerely consider them, even if they are in conflict with my own? Can I be comfortable with allowing people to think differently without trying to sway them to my viewpoint? Can I be comfortable with listening instead of talking? I think these are the ways I might get a chance to peer inside some of those closed bags.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to put in a request, I think as each year rolls over we should get a swag bag for our brains.

    ReplyDelete