I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 9, 2016

Focusing Fire

From the Spiral Tarot, the Ace of Wands; from the Sacred Journey Cards, Focus:
          This wand seems to be responding to the nearness of the hand in the sky. If it were actually touched, it would probably bloom into something like a red hot poker. I imagine we would be amazed if we could be aware of all the potential opportunities we have to do something. But because of various reasons and excuses, we often never strike that match. As Thomas Edison once said, "What it boils down to is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration." But once we do start that fire, we need the Focus found in the SJ card. I think a lot of creative or ambitious people have a feast or famine relationship with their muse. Once those ideas start coming, it's easy to have way too many irons in the fire and forget to keep the blaze going. The other caution that comes from this card is the kind of thoughts I entertain. If I'm in a low mood, my inner critic can keep me from accomplishing anything. But if I'm full of fire, I may not be willing to listen to any wisdom and guidance. Sometimes I need to observe from a detached point of view to see what is real and what isn't.

6 comments:

  1. I read some where that if you keep working and practicing your craft you are always ready for the muse to visit you and if she didn't come you at least did practice that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every writer's book I've ever read said the same thing. It doesn't matter what you create or how good it is, just spend some time doing it on a daily basis. :)

      Delete
  2. Disconnecting my brain from the locomotive of modern life would be a good start. Amazing how difficult that is to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Locomotive of modern life" - that is a verbal picture I can relate to. :)

      Delete
  3. It is a hardship to ourselves when we get in that all or nothing state. Too much fire and that's what we get, a whirlwind of activity making ourselves dizzy and then lose our focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the fires burning without letting them become a wildfire (or going out) takes some skill and wisdom.

      Delete