I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 24, 2016

What is Needed

From the Oriental Tarot, the Nine of Swords; from the Art of Asia, "Monkeys Grooming" by Fang Chuxiong:
          Does anyone sleep soundly on Christmas Eve? As a child it was excitement that kept me awake, and now as an adult it is going over my endless to-do lists. Were the casseroles ready, all the gifts wrapped and the car gassed up for the trip? Was everyone healthy and well (including pets)? Had I forgotten anything? Looking at this Nine of Swords, I notice all the swords have been tied up with blue ribbons - all except one. That center sword reminds me of waiting for the other shoe to drop, for that one thing that wasn't taken care of to present itself. But the Monkeys card and quote point my focus in a different direction: "Touch me, remind me who I am. (Stanley Kunitz)" Whether it is a soft touch on the shoulder, holding a hand or a big bear hug, human touch is a physical way to show compassion and kindness. These qualities are what is most important, the thought I need to hold close and act on. As Mary Rose O’Reilly phrased it, "In this season of high expectations, may I lovingly offer what is truly needed."

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Got to do some cooking and other tasks first... but I'll be relaxing this evening!

      Delete
  2. My mother, always in a hurry for fun, set up Christmas gifts opening on Christmas eve, usually around 4:30. I didn't realize until an adult, when Rob wanted packages on Christmas morn, that everyone didn't do it that way. Opening packages in the harsh daylight seemed akin to wearing our underwear over our clothes. Now we do it the easy way, no gift exchanges with anyone. If we need something we go get it. If we want something, we think it over. Sometimes for years :) All the best to you and yours Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have simplified things way more than we used to do, though we still like to buy toys for the grandsons. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, a little hug makes so many things better, and not just for the kids! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your family make lots of wonderful memories this holiday!

      Delete
  4. My Christmas started with a big bear hug from my big brother who payed us a surprise visit early this morning before he continues his journey to our mother. it was such a lovely surprise.
    My dear Bev, I wish you a wonderful and super relaxed Christmas
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely surprise! Hope you have a wonderful holiday too, my friend.

      Delete