I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Judicial vs. Judgmental

From the Victorian Romantic Tarot, the Hierophant; from the Dreaming in Color Deck, Aggression:
         The VR's Hierophant is one of my favorites. This teacher doesn't sit above his students on some papal throne while they cower submissively before him; he reclines as his students sprawl around him, relaxed but alert to his words. There is respect here, but obviously great love too. The knowledge of the instructor isn't used to make him appear better than those he teaches; his purpose seems solely focused on helping them understand it. The sickening shade of magenta in the Aggression card felt like a whiplash after the cozy feeling of the first draw. When someone is in the process of learning, criticism (grades or assessment for instance) is a necessary part. But there is judicial criticism, which is fair and constructive, and judgmental criticism, which is subjective and de-constructive. The latter type often feels passive-aggressive when given and can create an aggressive response in return. If I am the one doing the evaluating, it reminds me to be compassionate with the words and tone I use. When I am on the receiving end of judgmental criticism, I can look to see if there is any truth that I can use before discarding the rest, knowing that a person who tears down others usually has an agenda I don't need to enable.

8 comments:

  1. I love accepting wisdom from someone who loves their subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of some of my teachers when I studied to become a teacher myself. They were living,breathing inspiration. Guiding us and inspiring us came so naturally for them. I call myself lucky to have known them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had some of those myself. Selfless people. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm really feeling the children's absorption and curiosity. I have to say, too, that I'm ok with the colors in that Aggression card, the green is the civilizing influence. Nature as teacher, as wisdom-holder perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That colour reminds me of the dreaded Dolores Unbridge whose precise agenda was to eradicate the kind of teaching and learning going on in the card on the left...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh I hated that character in HP! But she does represent tyrannical teaching well. :)

      Delete