I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Corrupted or Clear Mind

This week I'll be using the Stone Tarot, a self-published deck by Alison Stone. I may also dip into her book of tarot poems (Ordinary Magic), although it wasn't written as a companion book. The oracle I'll be using is the Buddhist Quote Cards, painted and published by Diana Altenburg. Even though she has spiritual quotes (from John Lennon to Lao Tzu) on the back of the cards, I have decide to pair each card with a verse from the Dhammapada (a Buddhist text). Today's draws are the Two of Wands and Dhammapada 1:1:
           Two golden rods seem to be blocked behind a chair-like object. I was surprised to see the drab colors in this card; most of this deck is done in intense, jewel tones. But there is a method behind Stone's use of color in this Two of Wands. It can feel like looking through murky water when trying to make a decision about what to do and how to do it. Stone's poem for this card describes the choice of Hans Rey, a Jewish illustrator and author, who fled Paris before the Nazis arrived. He and his wife had to decide the best way to leave without detection; they finally managed to gather enough parts to make two bikes. One of the few things they took with them was a manuscript for the children's book Curious George. The verse for the Buddhist Quote Card reads:
 All experience is preceded by the mind, led by mind, made by mind. Speak or act with a corrupted mind, and suffering follows as the wagon wheel follows the hoof of the ox. 
The 'Law of Attraction' folks have twisted the words of the Buddha to mean 'positively think it - get it.' But this is not even close to the truth he points out. As Bodhipaksa explains, "The Buddha’s view on positive thinking was that if it violates reality, it’s worthless." Instead, Buddha taught that if we habitually respond to life with aversive or grasping thoughts and emotions (Ex: "This isn't fair - I can't live life this way!" or "I must have things this way to be happy!"), then suffering will follow us like a shadow. When presented with a choice, I must question my thoughts and emotions and see if they are based in facts or simply assumptions with no hard evidence to back them up. Then my actions will be responses rather than reactions.

10 comments:

  1. Reminds me that when someone really irrates me they may be mirroring something in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I feel that way, there is definitely a thought attached to it: "I don't want to deal with this." :)

      Delete
  2. been too long since I told you how much a enjoy and value your viewpoint

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was on my spiritual quest as a young adult I became very drawn to Buddhism. Though it didn't become the sole path I chose I still relate strongly to it in many ways. Your post reminds me of something I read many years ago which has remained as the foundation to my outlook. "the Cross is heavy for those who drag it and light for those who embrace it." Same for the reality of life the good and bad.

    A great post Bev!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we make space for all of it, there is much more freedom. :)

      Delete
  4. A very interesting and different take on the Two of Wands - love your interpretation of murky decisions! And I love the quote on the card: so many ways to see it. I love wildflowers. Small and yet hardy, they make a space for themselves, bring beauty with them. Life is messy and sometimes tough, but those touches of beauty make it so worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two decks are going to challenge me this week! I'm glad I got Alison's book of poetry; the poems are making me think outside the box for the tarot cards. :)

      Delete
  5. The Law of Attraction folks have twisted words similar to the way fundamentalist Christians have turned the bible into a giant manual for gaining prosperity. Jesus wants you to have that Cadillac, particularly if you tithe to the Church of the Promised Funds. Welcome to the American meritocracy, which is not a bad ideal, but not conducive to reality, which is a sacred rite of being human.

    Reality bites, but maybe it's trying to give you the breath of life? Sort of a murky thing.

    Hey, I have Rey's book about the constellations, another good one. I was a Babar and Madeline fan rather than a Curious George one, but the guy wrote a book about identifying the night sky, a man of many realities.

    It's 1 am, I'm babbling, time for a read of Thich Nhat Hanh, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those prosperity gospel spewers can twist me up just thinking about them. What a sneaky way to get desperate people to join your 'cause.'
      Did not know that Hans wrote a constellations book!

      Delete