I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Scrub Out the Pot

From the Stone Tarot, the Ten of Swords; from the Buddhist Quote Cards, Dhammapada 24:348 :
          Ten swords protrude from a mound against a dark background. I've been in this place before, trying to deal with a situation or problem that wouldn't budge. I've pulled out every bit of knowledge and applied every strategy to no avail. No matter how deeply I buried my swords, they failed to produce any positive effect. It left me feeling powerless and inept, yet it also softened my stance on handling things the way I believed they should be done. However, though I might be more open to hear suggestions from other people, I must be careful to pour them into a clean pot; a dirty one, crusted over with my opinions and beliefs, is really still a closed mind. The Dhammapada quote reads:
 Let go of the past, let go of the future, let go of the present.  
I would expect the Buddha to advise "stay in the present," but his teaching here is more about what we cling to. Whatever is pleasant and beneficial to us, we want to hold on to forever. When it changes, we suffer. Buddha advises enjoying what we have while embracing the knowledge that everything is transient. Even the ideas and beliefs that have served me well in the past may become ineffective. I can keep poking that mound or choose to be open to other concepts.

4 comments:

  1. Why is the right side of the face of the figure muted or shadowed? Is it a depiction of the Buddha or Siddhartha Gautama as he coalesced from prince to student?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist doesn't say. It could be our self-identity compared to the openness of our buddha nature.

      Delete
  2. that looks like a box of earth, floating in the water, with forest wands in the background. The whole system is either pulling it under, or pulling them out. A worrisome card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A reason to consider that perhaps there is a better way other than what has been tried over and over again without good results.

      Delete