I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Airing Out the Shed

From the Wheel of Change Tarot, the Ten of Swords; from the Oracle of the Dreamtime, Waratah:
          An old potting shed is filled with tools, pots, soil and a few herbs hanging to dry. But a peek out the door will prove that we're not in Kansas anymore. The landscape has changed from an earthy environment to a cosmic one. All those implements that were once so helpful aren't very useful now. The law of impermanence would suggest that the thinking that originally solved problems and created solutions may need to be tweaked or completely tossed out. Just try to talk to a grown son or daughter like you did when they were two years old ("Go sit in the time-out chair!"), and you'll understand what I mean. I don't necessarily have to toss my values and ethics, but my ideas need some major renovations. The Dreamtime story of the Waratah tells of how this flower became red. A wonga pigeon risked flying above the protection of the tree canopy in search of her mate and was killed by an eagle. Had the pigeon not given in to her fear (which made her act unwisely), she could have searched the whole forest for her partner who was still there. When I am afraid, it is easy to want to double-down on what has worked before. Yet it may be wiser to try new logic than to continue to use what no longer works.

6 comments:

  1. Ah.. the good old days of the naughty chair :D
    But yes, if we want something to change we have to change something

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or in this case, sometimes we need to change to catch up with what's already changed outside of us! :)

      Delete
  2. The RWS ten of swords has always evoke fear in me until recently and I came to peace with it. This ten of swords is really interesting and makes me wonder what is really beyond our 'work a day' mentality. I like the bricks falling away as we leave the mundane behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the bricks falling away too; it reminds me of long-held ideas that I need to let go of.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the kitchen thinking we really should have got terracotta floor tiles instead of the more affordable travertine....I agree with Carolyn it's a really interesting and edifying (rather than fear inducing) ten of swords. It is a card that really benefits from artistic reinterpretation I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the cards that sold me on this deck. While the OED-sized book gives me a headache, the artwork is wonderful and thought-provoking.

      Delete