I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Deep-seated Wisdom

From the Victoria Regina Tarot, the Two of Cups; from the Alchemist Oracle, 'Higher Knowledge:'
           A couple listen intently to each other as they take a country walk decked out in fashionable clothes (thank goodness for hiking boots, jeans and t-shirts today). They are obviously bonding, but it appears the attraction is about more than just sex. The Ball canning jars above their heads have the word 'Ideal' on them, suggesting a relationship that is based on a balance of give and take rather than inequality. I imagine that has a lot to do with developing a friendship in which honesty and communication take priority over a roll in the hay. 'Higher knowledge' has nothing to do with a PhD, instead it is a deep-seated wisdom that doesn't revolve around "I, me and mine." This wisdom sees with clarity and compassion without getting caught up in a world of make-believe. I'm lucky to be married to my best friend; the ups and downs of our relationship have taught me:
  • Compromise and flexibility don't mean I've lost a battle.
  • Resentment isn't necessary when agreeing to disagree.
  • Honesty and kindness are much more important than looks.
  • My happiness doesn't depend on another person's mood.
  • Empathy is not the same thing as emotional entanglement.
  • I am responsible for the choices I make; no one else is to blame.
  • Self-care sometimes requires solitude.
  • When I extend my circle of friends and interests, I'm more fulfilled.
What has the clarity and compassion of wisdom taught you about relationships?

9 comments:

  1. That maintaining a relationship for better and for worse is hard work but worth the effort even when it 's not what you have hoped for. Love comes in many forms. L:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Love does come in many forms! Just because ours doesn't look like someone else's doesn't mean it isn't wonderful too.

      Delete
  2. to ask Rob what he thinks, and don't tell me what to do.
    to tell Rob what I think, and I'm working really hard to not telling him what to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are important ones - to listen without trying to fix or to offer an opinion without turning it into a command.

      Delete
  3. Ahh to bottle the initial rush of love and open it up later when things get a little rough. Wisdom tells us that we will change and as the relationship changes, we need to remember there is still some of that initial bonding within us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bond can be so important when life throws a curve ball.

      Delete
  4. For me, it's so important to get a balance that works for us between couple-time and shared experiences, on the one hand, and having our own space and interests, on the other :) And respecting the other's interests and friends, even if I can't really understand the appeal of either :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding that together and apart balance does take some effort and flexibility. Your point about respecting each others interests made me laugh. While we both like cards, my interest is tarot and his is poker competitions! :D

      Delete