I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Ecosystems

From the Tarot of the Absurd, the Devil; from the Post-psychedelic Cyberpunk, the Forest:
          I might think this Devil was trying out a yoga pose if it weren't for the chains he wears. What ties me up in a pretzel knot? Fear, anger, and grief mostly. But truly any extreme circumstance can turn my compassionate, rational side into a person who thinks only of herself and her situation. That self-absorption can then transform into a search for something to numb the intensity of it all, and I wind up on the doorstep of the Devil (my selfish side who always has plenty of suggestions). The Forest card reminded me of a book I read about a biologist who studied a small section of an old-growth forest for a year. He describes all the activity there, from tiny organisms to the trees, and talks about the web of interconnection that makes up the ecosystem. I am reminded that ringing the Devil's doorbell (not simply for a party but for oblivion) generally happens not because of one triggering event but a multitude. I've previously made unwise choices and allowed unquestioned thoughts to fill my head. The mind and body are ecosystems in their own right; without attention and care, even small disturbances can cause great impacts.
Self-harm - the world will come at you with knives anyway. You do not need to beat them to it.
― Caitlin Moran

4 comments:

  1. It's a pity that often after we have been tempted we see the emptiness of our indulgence. Maybe if we treat ourselves consciously from time to time we can avoid the prepsil posture :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those strong emotions can set off all kinds of triggers. Once we make one unwise choice, it's easy to make another, then another...

      Delete
  2. I have seen the median of 'Forest Bathing' - taking timeout to walk in the forest to release your woes and heal yourself. I guess that would take the kinks out. I have always felt better after connecting to nature, it is a wonder to me that people now sign for 'forest bathing' classes. Heck get your tennis shoes on and go for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forest bathing?! That is hilarious and just goes to show that people would rather pay money than use common sense! :D

      Delete