I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, July 28, 2017

Hunting Expedition

From the Prairie Tarot, the Fool; from the Medicine Cards, Raven:
          This young man with his rifle and trusty hound is about to embark on a hunting expedition. But what he will be hunting is not food for his belly but food for his spirit. At this point, he's open to whatever comes with no expectations or judgments. He is fueled by excitement and curiosity, trusting that he will find what he needs with a wide perspective. What exactly is it that fills the soul? Plenty of adults who have been spiritual seekers for years could easily sing along with Bono that they "still haven't found what I'm looking for." I don't think of myself as a seeker as much as an explorer; I have found what fills my spirit (secular Buddhism), but I still have much to learn (most of which will come from practice). Raven is a complicated totem with multiple meanings - from trickster to light bringer. Elders often called on Raven to clarify what they saw in visions, as they knew what the eye sees is not always the whole truth. When a seeker has settled into a religion or philosophy, it's easy to feel he or she has figured out the Truth of Life. Raven would remind me that truth is not something that can be grasped as a solid object or used as a mallet on other people. It is a way to help me navigate my own journey rather than that of anyone else.

6 comments:

  1. the crows have been here for the last week feeding their little ones at our ground feeder stations. It has been fun watching them, normally I only see them going to work in the morning and coming back home in the evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few sentries that I pass in the morning on my walks that always 'caw' to announce my presence. :)

      Delete
  2. I can relate to being the eternal explorer. Every time after I have arrived somewhere the need arises to move on again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I bet if you check your pockets, you would find you take something with you. :D

      Delete
  3. About the time I think I found some of the answers I have been looking, up pops more questions. Like The Fool our journey continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I never have all my questions answered - it makes life more interesting! :)

      Delete