I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Please Don't Wake Me

From the Prairie Tarot, Judgment; from the Medicine Cards, Rabbit:
Life is short. Stay awake for it. ~ Caribou Coffee slogan

          An angel has blown her trumpet and even uses a gesture to wake the dead, but still they sleep. There are times when we pretend not to know what we know. We use every form of denial and delusion available to stay in our cocoons, so we don't have to deal with the uncertainties and insecurities of life. Yet none of these strategies provides a mind wipe; we'll still have the knowledge tucked away and trembling in a dark corner. Rabbit represents fear that keeps us immobile. Instead of fighting or fleeing, we freeze. I think most everyone has been exposed to circumstances that leave their heart racing and feet in concrete while the mind invents worst-case scenarios. It is incredibly hard to leave our hearts and minds open to such vulnerability - it feels safer to build a wall or live in a tower. But since this type of reaction isn't going to change reality, we could instead stop reinforcing our walls and be awake and watchful. We don't have to believe everything we think (especially those emotion-fueled thoughts). We can just pause and be with what is without adding to our distress. With the extra mental space we've created, we will be able to see with clarity and respond with wisdom. 

6 comments:

  1. A very wise but difficult advice. My tower has been crumbling down bit by bit over the years and I try to stay with what each moment will bring me as good as I possible can. My inner little rabbit is trembling when I write this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary, I agree. But I just have to remind myself burying my head in the sand won't help either. Shall we walk out beyond our walls together? :)

      Delete
  2. We don't have to believe everything we think...wisdom in them thar words

    ReplyDelete
  3. That describes me on some days to a tee.
    Makes me thing of that song "Killing Me Softly" sung by Roberta Flack.

    ReplyDelete