I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, August 25, 2017

Enchantment Protection

From the Fairytale Tarot, the Moon; from the Tree Affirmation Cards, the Elderflower:
           The story of "The Nixy" tells of a water sprite who made a deal with a man: wealth for the youngest thing in your house. Of course the idea of never being in want again made him say 'yes' before realizing what that would entail - giving up his newborn son. Nixies are patient; she had to wait until the young man grew up before he came near enough to the pond to snag him. It would be the young man's wife following the advice of a witch (by performing several tasks) who ultimately reunited them (though that took some time since they had been enchanted and didn't initially recognize each other). Because of its lovely, fragrant blossoms, the Elderflower (aka Elderberry) has been assigned the keyword 'enchantment.' Both these cards remind me of how easy it is to see only what I want to see, especially if what I desire is within reach. I may avoid investigating or acknowledging what the end result will be in my eagerness to have what I crave. But every thought, word and action will send out little seeds which will eventually turn into a fully grown field that resembles my underlying motive.
Self-imposed rules aren’t constraints, they’re good decisions made in batches—they’re behavioral boundary markers you get to position yourself, through your own experience and wisdom. The real ball and chain is the liability of not having standards independent of your mood and other acute pressures.  ~ David Cain

8 comments:

  1. The Elder Flower is sacred to the Goddess Holda (Mother Holle). Maybe because the flowers resemble the snowflakes which she shakes from her pillow? Or perphaps more because of the medicinal properties of the berries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look like snowflakes! :) Interesting that the ripe, cooked berries are beneficial, but the uncooked ones are poisonous.

      Delete
    2. She is closely related to Hel, so Death is her middle name:)

      Delete
  2. What a enchanting story, thanks for sharing and your post gives me pause for the thought that even the little petal or thing I do can have an effective on me and others without me looking or being able to see the long term causations of my action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often stop to consider whether what I'm about to do or say will create a field of flowers or briers in the future. :)

      Delete
  3. It is easier to blame enchantment than call out ourselves. Humans are so funny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony is while a person might want to try to hide behind blame, others can clearly see the path to their front door.

      Delete