I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Contemplative Work

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Hermit; from the Insectorum Divinorum, the Butterfly:
What light shines in the darkness and solitude?
What shadows does it reveal in this matter?
          Contemplative Old Man is likely a self-portrait done by Leonardo. Over his career, he found it necessary to alternate periods of activity with times of retreat. I rarely see anything clearly if I am distracted by constant texts, phone calls and the daily hustle and bustle. Solitude, quiet and contemplation are requirements for self-inventory. I can assess my strengths and my weaknesses, which can show me what spiritual principles I need to work harder on. Without such contemplation, I will become contentedly complacent, thinking I have no need to change any of my attitudes or behaviors. The Butterfly shows a pair of wings minus the insect, as if some child found them and taped them inside a journal. Butterflies in their adult stage can live from a week to nearly a year depending on the species. Because of its short life span and delicate wings, its keyword its fragility. Humans assume they will have a long life; even if we do, the years seem to fly by. I don't want to leave a legacy of unkindness or thoughtlessness, and I don't know how many seconds or years I have left. Best to work on changing myself while I can.
We have to grow or else deteriorate... Change we must; we cannot stand still. ~ Bill Wilson

10 comments:

  1. Both the acolyte and the caterpillar must withdraw to morph/pupate to someone or something else. Similar to your closing quote we cannot stand still, change is upon us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the parallel between the caterpillar and the hermit - thanks for that! :)

      Delete
  2. Even our four-score-years-and-ten are short by the reckoning of the universe. It's one of those conundrums: we seem so insignificant in the enormity of the universe, and yet it does still matter if we are kind or cruel, thoughtless or aware :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think it matters, even though we may be a wispy, small thread in the universal web. :)

      Delete
  3. self inventory. my card shouts run run today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a practice of mine for years now. Not always pleasant, but always helpful if you don't get caught in the muck of shame or self-pity.

      Delete
  4. Always Love it when The Hermit comes up. Just yesterday I have been sitting for quite some time with Jofee on my lap. Caressing him gently and watching my thoughts go by until there was nothing left to think about and then there was a blissful silence....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to empty out to make room to receive. :)

      Delete
  5. I tend to go through cycles of intense activity and withdrawal. Your post reminds me my 'retreats' are more about simple recovery than critical self reflection. If I could build in small but regular slots for the latter I might learn something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes we just need a retreat, and sometimes we might need to reflect. I'm not sure how much clarity I'd have if I was worn out! :D

      Delete