I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Granny's Got Her Groove On

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Two of Buttons (Pentacles); from the Button Oracle, Mask:
          Dang, Granny has got a groove going! Not only is she tossing and catching buttons, but she's got a hula-hoop in play too. I recently spotted a box of these at a local store, so I stopped and gave one a try. It takes a lot of hip swiveling with flexibility to keep those hoops going - much more than I remembered! But it's that same kind of flexibility (especially on a mental level) that I'm going to need when my perfectly constructed daily schedule begins to fall apart with the arrival of the unexpected. Yet the Mask Button implies that I don't need to plaster a smile on my face when things go wonky. In the words of Jim Morrison: "You trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask." What happens when I pretend to be okay when I'm not? No one will offer assistance, because they think I'm handling everything just fine. It would be much better to be honest, admit that I'm struggling and take any help I'm offered.

6 comments:

  1. I agree but it is so tempting to pretend everything is okay. We can even fool ourselves for a while but imagine the fright we and others get when our bottled up emotions, seemingly coming out of nowhere, eplode in everybody's faces. Boemm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are trained to smile and pretend we've got it all under control, but that sure can be a lonely place! And you're right - that's a volcano under construction.

      Delete
  2. I have a professional hula hoop. For the first few weeks I was purple going green everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one movin' and grovin' woman. She must have gotten a hold of a bottle of go-go juice. Tomorrow she will have to wear a mask of "oh nothing hurts, I am just fine." The last time I went bowling was the last time I went bowling, couldn't walk the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she is likely to be a groaning granny when she gets out of bed tomorrow! :D

      Delete