I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 4, 2017

Walk Forward

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Fool; from the Lakota Sweatlodge Cards, Inyan (Stone):
          Walk forward into uncertainty. There is no reason to cower in fear of life's challenges or rage at life when change or loss occur. You're here to embrace it all with an open mind and heart, and when you do, compassion and wisdom will come. Open all of your senses and stay curious even with what seems unpleasant; when you do, you will learn. Listen to the small voice that whispers inside: "This is why you are here." There will be periods when you want to shutter your heart and mind against the pain and problems, but try to keep them open. Inyan, the stones of the earth, can show you how to support and ground yourself during these trying times. Move slowly, with great patience. Stability is found in the present moment, not in the memories of the past or the fantasies of the future. 
Each day presents a new confrontation with reality. I want to run; instead, I breathe. One breath—the freedom to choose my response in that moment. Marilyn Buck   

This post was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend yesterday. I asked her, "What would your life look like it if wasn't weighed down with stress and worry?" I then suggested she try to live as if this were already true. Seems like it is good advice for me as well!


10 comments:

  1. A perfect post for me today Bev, as I received an email from a Rabbi friend talking about fear and that we can't deny our fears. It's simply another human emotion.

    I think fear and anger are closely related in that often those who are so full of anger and hate their default is being fearful most of the time.

    Life is full of breath taking beauty, amazing and awful, heart breaking, and soul-healing events and in between the ordinary and mundane. I'm happier if I can breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful and exhale during the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to want to hold on tightly to what we like and push away what we dislike. Love your last sentence: "I'm happier if I can breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful and exhale during the ordinary." :)

      Delete
  2. It truly is a day walk forward, one day at a time, one hour, or one minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often tell others what we need to hear the most ourselves.
    love this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your question and advice for your friend is really good advice. Something I shall try to ask myself now that I am home and done rock climbing for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suddenly had an image of you in rock climbing gear dangling in front of a sheer rock face!

      Delete
  5. More than most, this Fool makes me think of connecting air and earth - stretching for the stars, while staying grounded. And being a conduit between the two. That sense of channeling, of being in flow, which, as you describe, is found only in the present moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in the flow - moving like water - is a good description!

      Delete