I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 27, 2017

Burdens of the Mind

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the Nine of Swords; from the Mah Jongg Oracle, 'Pine:'
          At first it seemed these swords rested at the bottom of a valley, which made me think of the phrase "it's all come down to this." But the valley is actually bird wings, and these swords weigh down the wings of a giant bird. The booklet calls this card 'burdens of the mind.' But what is interesting is that the swords rest on the hilts, suggesting there is no hard evidence to ground the thoughts that are producing such misery. It may be that I've taken a past chapter from my life and decided that since things are slightly similar, the same events are replaying themselves. Or I might have some information that I've blown out of proportion, and now I'm mentally living in the future - a worse case scenario that hasn't even happened. Pine was considered a useful tree because it was used to make charcoal to purify drinking water and to make ink for writing. It reminds me that using a journal to write down my thoughts can often help clear my mind. I can see where I'm making assumptions and projections that aren't based in reality but have become stuck in my head by the emotions that accompany them. Staying in the real world can be much more beneficial than living in a fantasy one.

4 comments:

  1. Journaling does help put things in perspective; until then, they are just a jumble of swirling, confusing, bits of this and that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I poo-pooed journaling for years, thinking it meant nothing more than keeping a self-centered diary. I know now what a great spiritual tool it can be!

      Delete
  2. I have been remiss with my journalling of late. It's interesting, I've been doing a daily spiritual exercise very like journalling, but without the pen and paper. Do you actually go back and read your journal at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I use my journal as way to clarity and as a tool for spiritual inventory. I just focus on the day at hand. :)

      Delete