I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Embracing the Moment

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Ten of Cups; from the I Ching Pack, 'Thunder over Earth:'
          Trivium recently drew this card for her daily draw, and I commented on how it seemed like the couple were embracing the moment. My everyday duties can keep my nose to the ground to the extent that I don't notice the small things that are good, beautiful and awe-inspiring. These are the moments that help keep my heart open instead of armored, and I would do well to pay attention. Like the rainbow above the family, such events are transitory; I need to sip from the cups while I can. Hexagram 16 shows a family outing with two children having a friendly wrestling match. Thunder over Water indicates enthusiasm that brings unification. I can imagine the father watching these two rowdy boys might prefer a quiet day of cloud watching on his day off. But being a wet blanket would dampen everyone's fun. The irony is that when I'm willing to tag along with other happy people, I can't help but be influenced by their mood. And if I can get out of the stories in my head, I might just have a bit of fun too.

Breathing in, I calm my body. 
Breathing out, I smile. 
Dwelling in the present moment 
I know this is a wonderful moment.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh



4 comments:

  1. I learned that quote at yoga, it calms me to repeat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned it at yoga too. My teacher replaces the last line with ‘I know this is the only moment’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this version came from TNH's book "Inner Peace." You can find a lot more of his gathas here:
      https://mindfulgatha.wordpress.com/gathas/
      :)

      Delete