I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Look for the Helpers

From the Victorian Fairy Tarot, the Six of Autumn (Pentacles); from the Haindl Rune Oracle, 'Ehwaz/Eoh:'
          The younger fairy has torn her wing, and so the older fairy is applying a poultice of comfrey to help her heal. Here is an example of sharing resources - of skill, herb and tender touch. I read a newsletter recently from Tami Simon (founder of Sounds True) in which she described a dinner of friends she attended. Later the host sent her a note that was signed in a unique way: "May you be a blessing." What would my day look like if I started it with the intention of being a blessing? I know it would change my attitude for one thing, helping me to focus on the good I could do instead of soaking in self-centered thoughts. Ehwaz/Eoh literally means "horse," and three can be spotted in this painting. The rune suggests forward movement, but it also implies that teamwork is responsible for creating such progress. It's easy to despair about what shape our country and world is in if I watch too much news. It can seem like humanity's movement is only backwards. But I'm reminded of a story Fred Rogers (of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood) told his listeners about advice from his mother when he would see scary things on the news: "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

6 comments:

  1. be the blessing
    be the hope
    enough food for thought for a lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much joy in helping and serving others, so much we forget to allow them the same joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remembering to be joyful in receiving is a big part of the equation too!

      Delete
    2. My tornado trauma taught me that lesson. I was always doing for others and not allowing many to do much for me; didn't want to be seen as needy or weak. Then bammo, I was needy and weak. I learned to accept without having to give something in return other than a thank you and a smile when I could muster it.

      Delete
    3. I've learned a lot of lessons that way too, by not having any other choice in the matter!

      Delete