I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Next Right Thing

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Six of Pentacles; from the I Ching Pack, 'Lake over Thunder:'
          I went to walk at the indoor mall yesterday because of inclement weather. I noticed several school buses had brought kids from the special needs classes to enjoy the music and decorations as well as visit Santa. A few of the children were congregated on the front entrance helping the bell ringer collect donations. One young boy had a smile as wide as the ocean and danced gleefully as the bell was rung. He was the epitome of joy; if I'd had one hundred dollars, I would have stuffed them all in that kettle for the way he opened my heart at that moment. It was a wonderful reminder of how to give and receive. The 15th hexagram is called 'honorable following.' It reminded me of a phrase from 12 Step groups and this quote from Anne Lamott: "I took a long, deep breath and wondered, as usual, where to start. You start where you are, is the secret of life. You do the next right thing you can see. Then the next." I think most of us know what the next right thing is, but we often act as if we have no clue. Why? Because it may require effort, humility, or a big step out of our comfort zone. Yet as that young man taught me, if my heart is wide open, the rest of me will follow.
   

4 comments:

  1. "you start where you are, is the secret of life." Wise words. Lovely to get to meet and experience someone that lives the moment they are in, In Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great experience. :) Some might have pitied him, but not me; he had something few people know how to find.

      Delete
  2. The second card I could walk right into. That little hut nestled at the foot of the mountain looks so cosy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I can just imagine coming home to such a sacred space after a long day. :)

      Delete