I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Not Gonna Take It

This week I'll be using the Delta Enduring Tarot, created and self-published by Bridgette Egan. Along with it I'll be drawing from the Southernisms Oracle (a deck I created based on sayings I grew up with). Today's draws are Justice and 'Wet Hen:'
         Egan's Justice card sent a warm thrill through me, bringing to mind the words of Albert Einstein: "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." When there is injustice and inequality, people do need to speak up. First, because there are those who may sincerely be unaware of the situation, and secondly so others will have the courage to speak out as well. Holding aloft an IUD-shaped set of scales, a beautiful black woman stands at the front of a long line of women. These gals seem impervious to the anger and taunts tossed out by the crowd; they are here to hold folks accountable and create change (and refuse to back down until that happens). The Southernism today is "Madder than a wet hen." In the past, farmers often found stubborn hens sitting on eggs they wanted to collect. They put an end to their brooding behavior by giving them a quick dunk in cold water. Needless to say, the hen wasn’t too happy about such treatment. And therein lies the root of much injustice - the bullying behavior that takes by force what is wanted without concern for the other. I'm with Twisted Sister on this one: "We're not gonna take it anymore."

6 comments:

  1. The artist's portrayal of Justice is an iconic depiction of the rallying calls of late.
    I never knew the reasoning behind 'madder than a wet hen' thanks; now my day is complete since I have learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun wandering down some very winding paths trying to uncover the meaning behind some of these sayings. :D

      Delete
  2. Is that Ophra in front? :) I too loved learning about the wet hen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little cochin hen Angel likes to go broody. The cold water dunk is an effort to cool down their tummy/chest area. Nature warms them up to keep the eggs at optimum temperature. A rough dunk is hard to do with a pet. I have given her a cool bath in the kitchen sink though, to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never do a cold, rough dunk on my pet either - feathered or furred - unless their life depended on it.

      Delete