I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Without a Net

From the Osho Zen Tarot, Trust (Knight of Cups); from the A'HA Oracle, 'Alchemy:'
I don't mind working without a net. ~ Mary Chapin Carpenter

          Having genuine faith in anything is tough for humans; we'd rather experience a known amount of pain than deal with uncertainty. But this Knight goes beyond a mere mental acknowledgement; he acts without knowing for sure what the outcome will be (at least in the realm of emotions and relationships). The Knight of Cups doesn't have to do this blindly, however. Buddhists speak of 'bright faith,' which is trust based on observing certain practices and principles that work in another person's life. Yet the second step is just as important - 'verified faith' - when this framework is used in one's own life and tested. Only if it meets the personal test is it relied upon. The card of Alchemy shows bees creating honey from nectar. After gathering a load, each bee passes its mouthful to other workers who chew it and pass it on for about thirty minutes. It takes at least eights bees their entire lifespan to make one teaspoon of honey. Both cards suggest learning from others and accepting assistance. We might have to work without a net, but that doesn't mean we have to do it alone and without wisdom freely offered.

6 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to put my trust in others. This has probably to do with being disappointed in the past and my own need to control the situation. Put when I do, I am oftem surprised by the kindness of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's why I like Buddhism - it doesn't require that I put my trust in a person, but in a set of principles and practices that I can test for myself. :)
      People will always disappoint us (I suppose that's the nature of being human), but there's a deep ravine between 'disappoint' and intentionally 'hurt.' It's that second group that I'm wary of.
      Good to see you out and about my friend. :)

      Delete
  2. a leap of faith. Hard to do, never forgotten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never easy and usually requires a seed of courage.

      Delete
  3. Jump, and learn to fly on the way down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully discernment will come before the jump. ;)

      Delete