I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

More Than Just the Problem

From Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Fiddler (Devil); from the Saltwater Reading Cards, the 'Crocodile:'
          Wild Spirit shows up today, a trickster that brings unexpected chaos that can make the mind go into fear mode. I've been in near constant pain for two days, barely able to shuffle around. My mind has plenty to say about it, 99% of it untrue. When I focus on those thoughts, they become the Crocodile. This story from Pema Chodron illustrates the obstacles and danger it represents:

A student on a meditation retreat came to see the teacher in a tizzy. He said, "My back hurts, and I'm going to have to leave the retreat, and..." The teacher replied, "What I hear you saying is that your back hurts..." The student continued, "Yes it hurts, and I will have to leave and the people here will think I'm a big loser..." Teacher: "What I hear you saying is that your back hurts..." Student: "Yes, and the people here will think I'm a loser and my friends back home are going to say I wasted my money and..." Teacher: "What I'm hearing is your back hurts..."

When the mind starts spinning, I lose sight of the positive ways I can care for myself. Only when I stay in the moment can I find the spaciousness to see more than just the problem.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you're in such pain (((Bev))) Do you know what caused it? In some cases rest is better, in others movement is advised. In any way my thoughts are with you my dear friend. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facet joint problems (spine). My regular doc has been out of town, but I've been twice to a new doc who put me on steroids yesterday. Time, ice, rest, repeat. ((E)) Thank you.:)

      Delete
    2. Lots of gentle and very careful hugs

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you are out of sorts, maybe play a little music, not the jig the devil is dancing too. Some lovely soft chimes or singing bowls. Be Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn, music might be a good idea to help me relax contracted muscles.

      Delete
  3. Back pain is bad I know Bev. It's a real challenge to focus on anything but! It can be a struggle to be a good patient.

    I hope you're able to get clear of it and get some relief Bev. Big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dealing with it requires as much mental stamina as physical! The steroids seem to be helping. Thank you for your well wishes!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! Especially if it puts you out of commission! Glad to hear the steroids are helping!

      Delete
    3. Plan to check in with my regular doctor when he gets back in town too - thanks Cat!

      Delete