I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Saving and Spending

From the Neuzeit Tarot, the Eight of Coins; from Rory's Story Cubes, the 'Open Hand:'
          This card seems to combine the 'applied work and knowledge' of the RWS meaning with the Thoth's emphasis on prudence. The couple in the two egg shapes reminded me of a 'nest egg' - a sum of money saved for the future. The phrase comes from an artificial egg left in a nest to coax hens to lay. (As a kid, we used an egg-shaped rock.) That bit of savings is nice to have if you run into the unexpected or for future plans such as a vacation or home renovations. The open hand can imply either someone asking for help or someone offering it. I'm much better at saving money than spending it, so I'd have to have a really good reason to break into my egg basket. A money-strapped childhood likely explains my instinctual response, but as an adult, I need to pay attention to the facts rather than just my fears. There can be a fine line between tight-fisted and thrifty, but a close look at what motivates me will tell the tale.
Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are. –James W. Frick 

No comments:

Post a Comment