I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Tiny Grains

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Four of Swords; from the Viking Lenormand, the 'Mountain:'
          Jackson's booklet suggests "peace after stress" and "recuperation and rest after a struggle." The mind is lighter than the body and often wants to get started again after only a brief respite. Even when the mind struggles, there are the 'shoulds' whispering in the background. However, the World Health Organization recognizes that the whole self needs care: "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." The Mountain card implies an obstacle that blocks our forward movement. It's like packing the car with the family and supplies for a long-awaited vacation only to find the car won't start. Those types of obstacles look even larger when the mind is not rested. In the words of poet Robert W. Service, "It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

5 comments:

  1. what a great pairing. As I come back to mental health this year I am often struck by how depression isn't just mental and how much of life was on autopilot all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good message for me. When I am in pain, physical or mental, the other parts of me demand action. Sometimes the best thing to do is slow down and heal.

      Delete
  2. I am all for a time out. I have learned that it is okay for an afternoon nap, that I am not being lazy if I need lots of time outs. We are all heading in the same direction, maybe with my time outs I will get there a little later than life in the fast lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'll get there a lot saner than those in the fast lane! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete