Tuesday, September 29, 2026

I'd Rather Know, But...

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Wheel of Fortune; from the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, Fire:



I'd much rather 'know', but then again, not-knowing keeps all the possibilities open. 
―Ruth Ozeki

A contractor doing some work inside the house once asked me why I had a small collection of gemstone skulls. I told him that they reminded me of the principle of impermanence - good or bad, things only last for a limited time. The Wheel of Fortune indicates change is on the horizon; like the skulls, it is a symbol of constant transitions. Fire is both a consumer and creator. How does it create? Nutrient-rich ash that improves the soil. Fire opens some seeds so they can sprout It also opens the forest canopy, allowing more sunlight to reach the ground, allowing new plants to grow. We humans hate uncertainty, but we actually can't see far enough down the road to know all the possibilities that might come because of change. 



2 comments:

  1. Those skulls are interesting and a good reminder of impermanence and change. I have never seen those skulls anywhere. Boy, you can get anything Stateside! (J)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them about 20 years ago (a few at a time) on eBay.

      Delete