I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Expanding Spiral

From the Spiral Tarot, the Ten of Cups; from the Sacred Journey Cards, Flow:
          A water nymph guides ten cups from a large piece of pottery adorned with a double spiral. While the single spiral often symbolizes expansion, the double spiral generally means balance (and is sometimes used to represent the equinoxes or life and death). I can see how the double spiral might reflect the abundance of love (expansion) that is shared with others (balance). The booklet reads: "when you feel happy and full of love, others around you will benefit." Well those presently around me are probably feeling dry and thirsty; I have been in one of my dark holiday moods. Yet my yearly cycle through these feelings have made me aware that my unfulfilled expectations are the cause. I get hooked into thinking goodwill and generosity will abound this time of year, when it fact it nearly always does the opposite. The Flow card suggests I need to release my need to control the outcome of things and float along with how things are. That spiral begins with a single point that moves outward, and that point is me. Expanding my own compassion and kindness is all I need to focus on, not what I get back in return.

7 comments:

  1. I like these Sacred Journey cards Bev. I tend to like little decks with symbols. The Spiral was one of my first decks--it has my favourite Queen of Swords of any deck!

    I understand about the goodwill etc. I actually sent Christmas cards this year--surprised myself, but it was nice. Everyone gets dark holiday moods, we are surrounded by people screaming "All the stuff!" and brandishing credit cards. I feel defeated, anything to do with Christmas is consumed.

    One of my best Christmas memories is a walk in the snow with the spouse and then coming home to watch a boy's choir sing on TV.

    I'm trying to make a Santa figure but my arm isn't cooperating with sewing, still hurting after I damaged my shoulder in August. I put the tree up though--surround yourself with something that makes you feel good.

    I also think that Christmas...when a lot of people in your family have died, it gets to you, part of the human condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you - I think it is the simple things (like your walk in the snow) that bring the most joy (and don't cost a thing). Until you mentioned the death of family members, I had forgotten (at least consciously) that today is the anniversary of my father's death. Interesting how those sort of emotions can poke at your heart even when you're not aware of them.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Janet, we have to chose our battles. Letting go of all the modern way of marking holidays was a huge relief. I try not to be cocky about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely keep it more simple than we used to do. We still get together with my side of the family for dinner on Christmas Day. That's not very fun, but I do it because it is important to my mom and I love her.

      Delete
  3. Baking Christmas cookies are a good thing to do. Find a friend and bake away, cherishing the good times. Also a daylight similation light works. I got a Verilux light at Sams years ago and it helps lots on these winter days of waning sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the Verilux lights; I've not heard of them before.

      Delete
    2. It is a small table light that simulates daylight that someone told me about so my sister and I both got one. It helps, We bought at Sams Club.

      Delete