I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 5, 2016

Speed of Sanity

From the Spiral Tarot, the Two of Pentacles; from the Sacred Journey Cards, Love:
          On one side of this jester, the lake is stirred up and a flower has wilted; on the other side, the lake is calm and and the flower fully open. There are times when life must be lived wide open, and there are times it moves at a snail's pace. But living at either extreme all the time will harm the body. Yesterday I was at Lowes with my husband, and he asked me not to walk so fast as we were shopping. I rush without thinking (even when there's no need). I get in a hurry to finish what I'm doing and move on to the next task. When someone slows me down I feel frustrated, which makes me want to go at an even faster pace. That kind of behavior is just what the Two of Pentacles warns against. I need to be just as mindful of how I spend my energy as I do my money. The Sacred Journey card reminds me what often gets sacrificed when I am moving at top speed. I can get irritated with anyone or anything I think is slowing me down and lose my compassion. But these speed bumps are a chance to pause and ask what I'm sacrificing in the name of a few extra minutes. Love reminds me that there is always time to be kind and patient, not only with others but also myself. I can make progress and move at the speed of sanity.

9 comments:

  1. This is so recognizable! I just read the part about you at Lowes to M and we both had a good laugh. When our to-do lists keep growing it is good to remind ourselves of the essence of the season: Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how your husband feels. Child and adult I could never keep up with mother's speed walk mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows now to speak up and tell me to slow down, which helps both of us. :)

      Delete
  3. I am with you on the Lowe's. Nothing of much interest in all that hardware stuff. I would rush as well. Maybe that is the spin on Sacred Journey card, slow your steps to enjoy your time with your guy in a guy's store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I actually love Lowes - I'm the builder, fixer, gardener and project person in the house. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, I've so been there, rushing around and getting grumpy at anyone slowing me down. With me, it's mostly the toddler who wants to do "silly things" when I just want to get the shopping and get home.

    Good that your guy can speak up, and good that you could stop and listen, both inwardly and outwardly. Good luck with keeping your balance today, with a dose of self-compassion thrown in for good measure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of my problem is that I love checking things off my list to do. Nothing wrong with that, but I need to slow down enough to be mindful while I'm doing them! :D

      Delete