I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A View of the Night Sky

From the Tarot of the Secret Forest, the Stars:
 
...only when it's dark enough can you see the stars.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

The flowers in this card reminded me of the Ipomoea alba, or moonflower just before it opens. The blooms on this plant open at dusk and close shortly after dawn. Years ago, I tried to plant some seeds of this vine, but none germinated. It was only later I discovered the hard outer shell of the seed had to be nicked first, or it wouldn't be able to take up water. Being both stubborn and a strategist, I can bang my head against a brick wall for quite a long time trying to get results. Yet when I give up my attempt to force or push my agenda (feeling that all is lost), I suddenly see the solution and guidance so clearly. It's amazing what can be seen in the sky at night when there is nothing blocking the view...

From the Faeries Oracle comes "Gloominous Loom:"
What a sad sack - he reminds me of Eeyore in fairy form. Gloominous is our inner critic, the part of us that not only puts a damper on our efforts but tells us we're not worthy of any endeavor. I could blame my upbringing on this critic, but that would only add to the pity party he's eager to throw in my honor. Just because I have a thought doesn't make it real. Time to pull on my big girl panties and decide what's worth believing and what isn't.

4 comments:

  1. Wow , my inner critic looks a lot more scary. This one you would like to cuddle and comfort. Perhaps that's its cunning trickery :)
    I love that star card ! Just let everything flow and it will be alright. And look after that head of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think his trick is to look so pitiful you will pity him instead of showing him to door - sneaky little thing, lol. Yes, my freezer is full of ice packs! :D

      Delete
  2. Makes me wonder who nicks the seeds in the wild. Sort of like the chicken and the egg conundrum.
    I know there are some seeds that have to go through somethings gullet to germinate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being stepped on by hoof or foot, weathering, or as you said gullet-style. :) When I was growing herbs years ago, I remember one group of seed that you had to put dried pine straw over and set ablaze before they would sprout. Amazing that anything grows, isn't it?

      Delete