I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Feeding the Fire

From the Swietlistej Drogi Tarot, the Ace of Wands:
Breathe, breathe, fill your lungs with better air.
Reach, reach, like you know it's waiting there
I've found, letting go of what you're holding
Leaves your arms and heart a little more
Wide open.
At the house party last night I was trying to keep the fire going in the chiminea as we waited for the music to start. I wandered around the pasture picking up small limbs that had fallen, but soon realized some were quite wet that hadn't been under the shelter of a tree when it had rained earlier. I had to be choosy in what I tossed on the fire, so it wouldn't go out. Likewise, I need to check-in and see what I'm using as fuel to feed my passions and goals. What kind of logs have I been putting on that fire? Are they too large or too wet? I sure as heck wouldn't toss a tangle of poison ivy in the fire (you can breathe in the toxin from the smoke), yet I can have ulterior motives that are just as toxic. Today I need to see what I've got stacked in my wood pile and do some cleaning out.

From the Mirrors of the Heart comes the card "Nighttime:"
Crickets are chirping, leaves are rustling in the breeze, stars are twinkling and a faithful companion keeps watch. What could be more peaceful? In combining this card with the one above, I am reminded just how much my drives affect my serenity. If my intentions bear fruit, will this create cracks and divisions or wholeness and beauty? I may not be able to control what impulsive thoughts pop into my head, but I do have a choice in whether I feed my desires or douse them with a bucket of sand.

4 comments:

  1. Now I understand where your comment on my post is coming from :)
    Nature has beautiful metaphors to teach us. It's up to us to find them. Thanks for showing me how to pick my firewood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga works much like the Travis Meadows words.
    When you begin cold your hands might reach your knees.
    10 minutes later with each breath and new opening, there are your hands, flat on the floor. We forget about the opening when we only try once.

    ReplyDelete