I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kicking the Hornets' Nest

From the Tarot of the Secret Forest, the Eight of Wands:
We have a saying here that goes "Don't kick the hornets' nest," meaning don't upset the balance of things. All the bouncing around in the tree branches by this squirrel has stirred up the bees, causing them to swarm. While it's probably not a good idea to stir up trouble for trouble's sake, sometimes it is useful to shake things up a bit when stagnation or complacency have settled in. Staying in a rut just carves that trench even deeper. And though it may feel familiar and safe, we'll soon find ourselves so far down we won't be able to see all the wonderful things going on around us.

From the Faeries' Oracle comes the "Singer of Connection:"
Reach out and touch somebody's hand
Make this world a better place if you can.
~ Diana Ross
This fairy encourages us to remember the network of people and groups we are associated with (or perhaps want to be associated with). There is of a course a feeling of vulnerability when we reach out to others, but this card is a reminder that at times we need to let our defenses down. Together with the Eight of Wands above, I believe the message for me is to connect with people, both new friends and old, to shake myself out of my rut.

3 comments:

  1. Yes is good to get things going again.This time of year it is tempting to go a bit in hibernation sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, right after I finished this post, I had a call from an old friend I haven't seen in a while you invited me out for coffee. :)

      Delete
    2. I hope you'll have fun together catching up :)

      Delete