I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, October 28, 2013

Seeing with Gray-tinted Glasses

From the Tarot of the Secret Forest, Temperance:
A fairy pours a liquid from one container to another; perhaps she is mixing a bold black with a harsh white to produce a softer gray color. We humans tend to like things cut and dried, black or white. It makes us feel more in control when there are only two sides or two choices, and we can firmly choose one or the other. But life is too full and complex to be reduced down to "this or that." When I try to fit people or situations in these categories, I end up making sweeping generalizations that don't even come close to the truth. Temperance suggests that I see life on a continuum - in shades of gray rather than black or white. Here on this sliding scale, I'm much more likely to find the serenity that comes through harmony.

From the Faeries' Oracle comes "The Pook:"
Pook is a shape-changer who loves to show us the paradox in what we think is set in stone. Have you ever watched a movie or read a book where you enjoy hating the antagonist, but then you're introduced to the "back story" that shows how he got that way? While you still may not like what he does, you find yourself developing a small soft spot for him. Or how about the protagonist who at first glance seems like Prince Charming? Later you find out he's not perfect but seriously flawed. Pook helps me see that there is some good in the worst people or situations and some bad in best. There's no black or white here.


5 comments:

  1. Again two beautiful matching cards! I am more the opposite. I tend to muddle more in the gray areas of life. Mostly because I am afraid to make a black or white decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my husband. :) Sometimes it takes both our brains to make a sane, balanced decision.

      Delete
    2. Since I have to workthings out with a single brain it can be tiresome sometimes :)

      Delete
    3. Hey, that's what friends (and blogs) are for! :)

      Delete